Many parents ignore some issues that concern their kids. They do not have enough skills about how to get their children eat healthy food. Childhood is considered as the most significant period in which parents can instill certain traits, especially eating habits. Children in such period are more appreciated to accept things. Their brain is structured to acquire knowledge and learn quickly. During childhood, children can learn many habits, including healthy eating habits. Healthy eating is so important to your child’s growth and development.
Many health care specialists advise parents to instill these habits into their children. Eating healthy food can make your child feel good and reach a healthy weight. Eating healthy meals makes the whole family in a better condition.
Parents need to know how to teach their children healthy eating habits. They are supposed to take the responsibility in deciding where, when, and what the family eats. By teaching your children these habits, you will help them to maintain a normal weight. Eating together as a family is the way where kids can learn to make healthy food choices and develop table manners.
Healthy eating brings many advantages to you and to your kids. The commitment to a certain diet is not easy, but it can be the best technique you can adopt. According to Debra Nenel, a registered dietitian with Torrence Memorial Medical Center in Torrence, California, ‘’following a healthy diet includes choosing plenty of lean meats, eggs, vegetables, fruit, whole grain and dairy products’’. Eating well regulates weight, good healthy choices like replacing soda with water , taking veggies instead of chips, choosing salad in place of fries can help you regulate your weight.
In order to maintain their health, parents are supposed to teach their kids the best eating habits. Kids’ health is very sensitive. This means that it is the responsibility of parents to decide where, when and what children should eat. By your advice, your little kids can decide how much to eat and what kind of food they can have. It is your role to teach them to eat slowly and know when they are full.
Developing eating habits when they are young will lead them to develop a good and healthy lifestyle when they get adults. One of the most significant patterns of healthy eating is portion control. There are many ways parents can do to reduce fat intake in their children’s diet and encourage a healthy weight. Some of which include lean cuts of meats, whole grain bread, and cereals, healthy snacks, including veggies and fruits, poultry without skin in addition to reducing the amount of sugar and salt in your child’s meals.
Having a well-balanced diet will help your kid to maintain a healthy weight. Do not put your child on a restrictive diet because it can make harm to them; if you are suspicious of the way to select types of food for the whole family, you should consult your health care provider. If you make arbitrary restrictions on your child’s food choices, you will put your child at risk. A study published in 2014 in British Medical Journal assured that eating five servings of fruit and vegetables per day is connected with lower risk of dying from any health related issue. There are a lot of ways parents can follow to develop healthy eating habits in their children.
The best eating habits for your child:
1. Let your child take part in food shopping: taking your child to food shopping will let you discover food preferences to your kid and then know how to satisfy their needs. Involving children in shopping makes them build a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.
2. Involve your child in preparing meals: helping your child to participate in preparing food is an appreciated step to let them feel they are important. Children like to try food they take part in preparing it. When your children become involved in preparing food, they become more interested in eating what they create.
3. Try to adjust your attitude and create a real model for your child: try to be a unique and real model for your kids. Do not interrupt others when talking and your child is present on the table. Show respect and good manners so that your kid can learn from you and develop the best manners.
4. Let your kids sit together on the table with the whole family: encouraging your children to sit with the family during the time of food will help them learn the rules of dining. If you help your kids see you trying different foods, you are building good eating habits. Your kids will learn to taste the foods on the table. Try to model good social behavior; do not interrupt others. Let your children see how you answer questions. Also, limit meals to a reasonable period of time; it should not take longer than 30 minutes.
5. Give your children the freedom to choose food: let your kids select the food they like; help them taste new foods. If they refuse to do it, keep preparing those meals until they become familiar with them. You should not accept that your children devour some meals and refuse others. Keep providing foods which get the nutrition your child might need.